Monday, February 20, 2012

Back online!...almost

Good news! The VR lab is back up and running so I have been able to make some really good progress recently on my projects. 

Last week, after the lab was ready to get running again, I ran my object interaction script for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised that it worked right away! There were a few kinks to work out, but after fixing those I was able to reach out and 'grab' virtual balls and move them to other positions. I was very happy with the results and had a lot of fun testing out the interface myself. After moving the objects around for a few minutes I lifted the HMD off of my head to see the balls in the real world--it was at that moment that I realized how immersed I had been in the environment. I have been around VR for a few years now and have always felt that I have a clear distinction in my mind between the real and the virtual worlds and this is the first time that that line has been blurred. Later that day, when I was trying the interface again, I did the same thing again. I am very excited about what this could mean for the effectiveness of VEs in the future. 

The other project I am working on is a third experiment to add to the previous two throwing experiments that I presented at APGV last August. This third experiment will be put together into a journal article that we will submit to Transactions on Applied Perception (TAP) for publication. We are hoping to gain a better perspective on the role that motor and visual feedback plays on our perception of our own actions. This experiment may have to be halted, however, as another one of our computers has decided to stop working, and we will have to install Autodesk Motionbuilder on another machine if I want to move forward with testing, piloting and then running subjects. 

Finally, I finished putting together one journal article and am waiting for two of the co-authors, in Germany, to review it and get back to me with suggestions. We will submit it in two weeks and hopefully hear back about a month after submission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment